Sunday, April 2, 2023

Sunday Salon

Madame de Stael's salon. Probably didn't happen on Sundays, though...

Last Week

A poem by Joyce from Chamber Music.

The autobiography of Victor Gruen, architect and the 'father of the shopping mall.' A pretty fascinating tale of an Austrian Jewish immigrant to the US. He came over in 1938.

Also Around the World in 80 Days, which I'd never read before. Pretty entertaining, in case you didn't know... 😉

"It [the train] reached Chicago, already risen from its ruins, and more proudly seated than ever on the shores of its beautiful Lake Michigan."

The way to a hometown booster's heart. That Mr. Verne, such a nice man. I'm sure Passepartout, given half a chance, would have done some sightseeing, but no, they had to hurry on.

I also got Go, Dog, Go from the library after reading Deb Nance's list here. I haven't read that since I couldn't tell you when. It is still pretty great.

On The Stack


The #1940Club is coming up in a week; I've got a couple of mysteries lined up for the occasion. Cousin Bette is the spin book, which I haven't started, so it's still on the stack. I'm pretty far into the Javier Marias at this point (Post coming soon?) and I picked up the Georgi Gospodinov from the library pretty recently. It was just shortlisted for the Booker International, so I won't be able to renew and it will have to be read soon. I've liked what I've read of him before


How was your week?


7 comments:

  1. I haven’t read Around the World in 80 Days for ages, and I wonder if I would still like it. I remember the movie with (I think) David Niven and lots of songs. Jules Verne is a neat author.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd only ever seen the movie and that as a kid, but I thought the book was pretty fun. He is pretty entertaining.

      Delete
    2. Just tried commenting on your blog, but it didn't seem to go through.

      Delete
  2. I am happy you were inspired to pick up Go, Dog, Go again, and I'm glad it held up. The "Do you like my hat?" conversation and the dog party struck me as wildly funny when I read them as a child.

    I'd planned to read Cue for Treason from the 1001 Children's Books list this month, so it's serendipitously lovely that it was first published in 1940.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you inspired me to pick up, Go, Dog, Go! I'd forgotten about the dog party in the tree, oh, that was fun!

      Delete
  3. I'm curious about the Georgi Gospodinov too - I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to get started. I'm afraid my eyes have been bigger than my stomach lately with library books.

      Delete