Thursday, August 31, 2023

Night Song


Night Song

Stack the cups and clear away;
The bonfire sinks to ash;
Daytime is so much trash,
Night climbs the stairway.

We have done what we can to use the light,
Cricket and jar take over;
Children snore, the smell of clover
Tickles the poacher's nose as he treads it over.

Poppy and rose swim in the warm remainder,
Exhausted current of day;
Cold comes down from the air, hay
Hears warm in the field what the lovers say.

Bare to the teeming black the heady tree
Sighs in its sleep and stirs;
Softly an owl-wing whirrs,
The water chuckles, the paper-beetle burrs.

Stack the cups and clear away;
The bonfire sinks to ash;
Daytime is so much trash,
Night climbs the stairway.

-David Holbrook

I lifted that picture of David Holbrook from a rather lovely obituary of him in The Guardian. He died in 2011 at the good age of 88. He was a teacher and D-Day veteran as well as a quite prolific author--plays, memoirs, novels, as well as poetry.

As I had to Google some to figure it out, it might help you, too: jar in the second stanza will be a nightjar, a medium-sized insect-eating bird of the same family as what's called a nighthawk in North America.

Appropriate that I'm posting 'Night Song' at the very end of the day...




4 comments:

  1. Such beautiful imagery! I love that line Softly an owl-wing whirrs, and Night climbs the stairway, too. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a recent discovery for me. I liked the bit I read.

      Delete
  2. At my age, I feel like I've done what I can to use the light, and I'm looking forward to having cricket and jar take over.

    ReplyDelete