Thursday, September 28, 2023

Emily Dickinson


#1075

The Sky is low -- the Clouds are mean.
A Travelling Flake of Snow
Across a Barn or through a Rut
Debates if it will go --

A Narrow Wind complains all Day
How some one treated him
Nature, like Us is sometimes caught
Without her Diadem.

-Emily Dickinson

Emily Dickinson is probably my favorite writer of ballad-meter poems, and when I was thinking about ballads, I pulled the book off the shelf & started browsing. I must have read this one before, but I didn't remember it, and it struck me on this reading. Though not yet seasonally appropriate: we've had glorious Indian Summer weather lately (at least until tonight when we're getting a light rain) and they're predicting more lovely weather next week. But maybe the poem is newish to you, too.

But in case that's not enough... 😉 One of my favorites, and a more commonly anthologized poem:

#410
We grow accustomed to the Dark --
When Light is put away --
As when the Neighbor holds the Lamp
To witness her Goodbye --

A Moment -- We uncertain step
For newness of the night --
Then -- fit our vision to the Dark --
And meet the Road -- erect --

And so of larger -- Darknesses --
Those Evenings of the Brain --
When not a Moon disclose a sign --
Or Star -- come out -- within --

The Bravest -- grope a little --
And sometimes hit a Tree
Directly in the Forehead --
But as they learn to see --

Either the Darkness alters --
Or something in the sight
Adjusts itself to Midnight --
And Life steps almost straight.

-Emily Dickinson

I did once walk into a tree, hitting it with my forehead, in the woods on a pitch-black night. I'm not sure I'm one of the Bravest, though... 😉

4 comments:

  1. I like Dickinson's poems. I haven't read either of these before, but we've had a narrow complaining wind outside all day today, so that first one was very fitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely days where I know what she means, but today's been lovely again for us. So no complaining here!

      Delete
  2. Both of these are new to me, so thank you. I'm thinking now about how we have grown accustomed to the Dark in recent years...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are all sorts of unfortunate ways one does get accustomed to the dark...maybe though we will see better soon!

      Delete