Sunday, July 21, 2024

And the Winner Is... (Classics Club Spin #38)

 

Anna Seghers' The Seventh Cross

Seven escapees from a Nazi prison on the run across Germany during World War II.

The novel came out in 1942 with a German press in Mexico for exiled writers and was translated into English shortly after. There's a 1944 movie version with Spencer Tracy in the lead role. (Which I haven't yet seen.) Based on my earlier experience of Seghers' Transit, I expect it to be full of thrills, but to be thoughtful, too. I'll probably save it for August, assuming Women in Translation month is happening again. (Is it?)

Do you know it, the book or the movie?

What are you reading for the spin?

9 comments:

  1. I don't know this book or this author. I hope it ends up being a really good read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! (It tried to spam your comment again. Grrr.)

      Delete
    2. Apparently, blogger doesn't like me. ;D

      Delete
  2. This book sounds very interesting and the author is new to me. But then a lot of the books on your spin list were new to me.

    That time in history is of interest to me and the fact that it was written at the time makes it even more enticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fascinating period, and the other book of hers I read was really good.

      Delete
  3. Well, I can't wait to hear about this one. Again, you have another eclectic pick.

    I have Meditations, which I think I had once before. Maybe this time, I'll read it, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a recent discovery for me, but a good one! I've gotten so I just watch what New York Review Books reissue.

      Delete
  4. She's someone I'm keen to read, but I haven't made it there yet. Sounds great for summer tho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After Transit was such a good read, I have high hopes for this one.

      Delete