Dream Song #14
Life, friends, is boring. We must not say so.After all, the sky flashes, the great sea yearns,we ourselves flash and yearn.and, moreover, my mother told me as a boy(repeatingly) 'Ever to confess you're boredmeans you have noInner Resources. I conclude now I have noinner resources, because I am heavy bored.Peoples bore me,literature bores me, especially great literature,Henry bores me, with his plights & gripes,as bad as achilles,who loves people and valiant art, which bores me.And the tranquil hills, & gin, look like a drag,and somehow a dog,has taken itself & its tail considerably awayinto mountains or sea or sky, leavingbehind: me, wag.
-John Berryman
I'm not especially bored at the moment, great literature does not bore me, but I do love this poem, which is pretty great literature. There's a new volume of Berryman, Only Sing, 152 Uncollected Dream Songs out recently, and I was reading a review of it, which brought me back to my favorite of the original dream songs.
John Berryman (1914-1972) was an American poet. His volume 77 Dream Songs won the 1965 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry. Henry is his alter ego, or maybe better id, that shows up in the Dream Songs.
It was my Dad rather than my Mom who was likely to give me conventional advice of this sort, though there was never a line about Inner Resources that I recall. But: where's your vim, vigor, and vitality?

No comments:
Post a Comment