Thursday, March 8, 2018

Classics Club Spin #17


Classics Club spin #17, but it's the first one for me. Pick twenty unread books from your Classics Club list; the spin with tell you which one you're supposed to read by the end of April. Here's my list:

Five books I'm eager to read.

Right now I'm in the mood for funny so:

1.) Shaw/Pygmalion
2.) Shaw/Major Barbara
3.) J. F. Powers/Morte D'Urban
4.) Twain/A Tramp Abroad
5.) Stevenson/The Black Arrow (well, not funny, but adventure!)

Five books I'm dreading reading.

I'm currently in the middle (well, first quarter) of Romain Rolland's Jean-Christophe, at 1500 pages one of the longest books on my list. I don't really dread anything on the list (that's the idea, right?) but since what I do dread are the long ones, I'm not picking any others of those at the moment...

Late Henry James will do for dread should that get picked.

6.) Stoker/Dracula
7.) James/The American
8.) James/Wings of the Dove
9.) Woolf/The Waves
10.) Broch/The Death of Vergil

Five books I'm neutral about.

All things I want to read, but I'm currently neutral about:

11.) Zamyatin/We
12.) Douglass/Narrative
13.) Balzac/Cousin Bette
14.) Goldsmith/The Vicar of Wakefield
15.) Eliot/Silas Marner

Five 'free choice' books.

And since I'm in the middle of a long one, some short ones:

16.) Plath/The Bell Jar
17.) Kawabata/Snow Country
18.) Baldwin/Giovanni's Room
19.) Baldwin/Notes of a Native Son
20.) Wollstonecraft/The Vindication of the Rights of Women

Be kind to me, O gods of the random number!

And the winner is...#3. J. F. Powers' Morte D'Urban

No comments:

Post a Comment