Sunday, June 18, 2023

Sunday Salon

 

One last salon-ish Ireland photo

On the Blog

Diligent week on the blog. I wrote up Cousin Bette, a book from my Classics Club list. Then I posted a Barbara Hamby poem I like, and last Biography of X, from my 20 Books of Summer list, which was OK, but I didn't like it as well as I hoped I would. 

I also finished Josephine Tey's classic mystery The Daughter of Time, which I should write up soon.

On the Stack


The library delivered Eleanor Catton's Birnam Wood much faster than I thought it would. It's still popular and I'll have to read it soon. The same is true of The Bangalore Detectives Club by Harini Nagendra.

I think my next Classics Club book will be James Baldwin's Notes of a Native Son. And I continue to make my way through Barbara Hamby's book of poetry.

Foody

It's asparagus season here! One of our favourite uses:


I first came across the idea of shaved asparagus pizza at Smitten Kitchen, but I've fancied it up a bit. She uses just cheese for the base, but I now do a garlic cream sauce. You see I've added some diced salami on half (for thems whats wants it... 😉). A slice of prosciutto works, too. To go all in, some shaved truffle pecorino is a treat, but that requires a trip to a special cheese store for me, and I didn't get there last week...


Hope you all had a great week!

7 comments:

  1. Can't wait to read your review of Tey's. I need to read more of her, and I'd certainly need much more inspiration for the upcoming British Crime Classics Challenge!
    Your shaved asparagus pizza looks yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading classics can be a challenge. Cousin Bette has always been on my list, still is. Not read yet.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit surprised how much I liked Cousin Bette.

      Delete
  3. I'd really like to read Notes of a Native Son, too. I am reading Count of Monte Cristo with the goal of finishing it by year's end, but I'm less than 20% into the book. I feel like I need to focus on it a little more right now.

    I hope you will read Birnam Wood and then report back to us. I haven't read Catton's The Luminaries yet, though I've intended to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite liked the Luminaries so I have high hopes for this one. Monte Cristo is an old favorite of mine, though I only read the condensed version as a teenager.

      Delete
  4. Mmm garlic cream sauce, asparagus, and pizza dough. Count me in!!! Oh and put me some of that salami on mine, thanks.

    ReplyDelete