Thursday, July 6, 2023

Ode to American English

 


Ode to American English

I was missing English one day, American, really,
  with its pill-popping Hungarian goulash of everything
from Anglo-Saxon to Zulu, because British English
  is not the same, if the paperback dictionary
I bought at Brentano's on the Avenue de l'Opera
  is any indication, too cultured by half. Oh, the English
know their delphiniums, but what about doowop, donuts,
  Dick Tracy, Tricky Dick? With their elegant Oxfordian
accents, how could they understand my yearning for the hotrod,
  hotdog, hot flash vocabulary of the U. S. of A.,
the fragmented fandango of Dagwood's everyday flattening
  of Mr. Beasley at the sidewalk, fetuses floating 
on billboards, drive-by monster hip-hop stereos shaking
  the windows of my dining room like a 7.5 earthquake,
Ebonics, Spanglish, "you know" used as comma and period,
  the inability of 90% of the population to get the present perfect,
I have went, I have saw, I have tooken Jesus into my heart,
  the battle cry of the Bible belt, but no one uses
the King James anymore, only plain-speak versions,
  in which Jesus, raising Lazarus from the dead, says,
"Dude, wake up," and the L-man bolts up like a B-movie
  mummy. "Whoa, I was toasted." Yes, ma'am,
I miss the mongrel plenitude of American English, its fall-guy
  rat-terrier, dog-pound neologisms, the bomb of it all,
the rushing River Jordan backwoods mutability of it, the low-rider,
  boom-box cruise of it, from New Joisey to Ha-wah-ya
with its sly dog, malasada-scarfing beach blanket lingo
  to the ubiquitous Valley Girl's like-like stuttering,
shopaholic rant. I miss its quotidian beauty, its querulous
  back-biting righteous indignation, its preening rotgut
flag-waving cowardice. Suffering Succotash, sputters
  Sylvester the cat; sine die, say the pork-bellied legislators
of the swamps and plains. I miss all those guys, their Tweety-bird
  resilience, their Doris Day optimism, the candid unguent
of utter unhappiness on every channel, the midnight televangelist
  euphoric stew, the junk mail, voice mail vernacular.
On every boulevard and rue I miss the Tarzan cry of Johnny
  Weismueller, Johnny Cash, Johnny B. Goode,
and all the smart-talking, gum-snapping hard-girl dialogue,
  finger-popping x-rated street talk, sports babble,
Cheetoes, Cheerios, chili dog diatribes. Yeah, I miss them all,
  sitting here on my sidewalk throne sipping champagne
verses lined up like hearses, metaphors juking, nouns zipping
  in my head like Corvettes on Dexedrine, French verbs
slitting my throat, yearning for James Dean to jump my curb.

-Barbara Hamby

Barbara Hamby is an American (did you guess that?) poet raised in Hawaii and now in the English department at Florida State University in Tallahassee. On the Street of Divine Love is a new and selected volume that came out in 2014; 'Ode to American English' is from her volume Babel of 2004. I don't know when she was in Paris, thinking about American English. 😉

It goes from Anglo-Saxon to Zulu, though C somehow comes later in the alphabet, doesn't it? I'm still looking for that translation of the Bible where the L-man says, "Whoa, I was toasted," but I do want to find it... I was a little surprised to find Johnny Weismuller's name spelled as the young Johann might have, not as Hollywood did to make more it palatable to Americans, but there you go. Pretty fun stuff. This was the poem I first saw of hers that made me want to read more.

That's iced tea next to the book above. It's been hot here!

A book I actually put on my 20 Books of Summer list.






6 comments:

  1. What a super poem, thank you for sharing it! I spend my life zipping between the two languages, British and American, for my work, and love talking about the differences, too, which I did only the other day while running with an American woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a fun one? Glad you liked it. My midwestern accent passes for Canadian now most of the time, but once in a while I can still get caught out...

      Delete
  2. Wow. That's quite a poem. The rhythm of her words is amazing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this one makes me want to read more, too. I'm off to see what I can find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My library only had her most recent, and I had to resort to ordering online.

      Delete