Sunday, July 23, 2023

Sunday Salon

 


Last Week

Read some books... 😉

Actually I haven't quite finished the Ivo Andrić, but I expect to soon. The Kobo is showing Shakespeare and Fletcher's The Two Noble Kinsmen, an obscure but interesting one. Now I need to write some blog posts! The Books of Jacob will be my second Big Book of Summer, and, at 965 pages, will certainly be the biggest.

To go with the one female Polish Nobel Prize winner I was reading, I posted the poem of another earlier in the week, Wisława Szymborska's 'The Onion'.

Last week my translation of Catullus 92 appeared in pixels here.

We were up north in Ontario at Killarney Provincial Park, where neither the phone nor the Internet could reach me. Which is nice! So, when not paddling around, it's a great spot for reading, enabling those long books.



If we time it right, we get lots and lots of blueberries:


This time we found enough for blueberry pancakes one morning but that was it. It had been a dry spring up north, which I suspect was the culprit. At least there had been no fires in that area.

Here's me trying to go all Monet...

After we got back we saw Umberto Eco: A Library of the World. "When I arrived thirty-five years ago, they were thirty-thousand. I have no more time to count them." That's books! Something to aspire to...


I read The Name of the Rose back when it came out and liked it a lot. I was less fond of some of his other novels, and haven't read them all. What I've read of his non-fiction is egghead-y, but playful, and that's about how he was in the movie. He seems like a nice man, and his kids like him (so that's a good sign). And the movie has pictures of some truly fantastic libraries, mostly in Italy, but not entirely. You can see some of them at the end of trailer, but lots more in the movie.


Hope your week was good!

6 comments:

  1. Love the nature photos. Hope that they mean you are getting full of nature and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a delight for me to be so far away from civilization that emails and texts cannot reach me. What a lovely place you were in!

    Umberto Eco: A Library of the World is not showing around here, sadly. I'll continue to keep a look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consciously save those giant books for when we're away at the cabin and there is no possibility of disturbance!

      Delete