Friday, December 8, 2017

Book Beginning: Robert Heinlein's Time For The Stars


According to their biographies, Destiny's favored children usually had their lives planned out from scratch. Napoleon was figuring out how to rule France when he was a barefoot boy in Corsica, Alexander the Great much the same,  and Einstein was muttering equations in his cradle. 
Maybe so. Me, I just muddled along.
...is the beginning to Robert Heinlein's Time For The Stars of 1956.

I have to say I was pretty amused by the sly way in which the narrator compares himself to Napoleon, Alexander, and Einstein. Two conquerors and a scientist. It's a boy's adventure, but for a boy good at math. We'll see if it can maintain that high level.

Book Beginnings on Fridays is a bookish meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. To play, quote the beginning of the book you're currently reading, give the author and title, and any thoughts if you like.

7 comments:

  1. It is the cover that makes me curious. What's up with the creature.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know yet! I'm about halfway through and they've just left Earth. Looks rather dinosaur like, doesn't it?

      I'll report back...

      Delete
    2. They do get to another planet with dinosaurs, but I didn't think it was the most important part of the story.

      Delete
  2. I liked this one. But then I liked all of Heinlein's juveniles. I wonder if you have found it at all dated. I am featuring A Murder for the Books by Victoria Gilbert. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first of his juveniles for me--I've read a few of the adult ones before. Right now (halfway through) I'm liking it.

      Delete
  3. Robert A. Heinlein is quite a writer. I've been meaning to go back to some of his novels. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've read a few before but I missed them when I was a kid--mostly a mystery reader then and now.

      Delete