Friday, December 22, 2017

Book Beginning: Terry Pratchett's Hogfather


Everything starts somewhere, although many physicists disagree.

...is the beginning of Terry Pratchett's Hogfather. 

I'm not sure I think that's an especially engaging opening--it's the whole opening paragraph, not just the opening sentence--but I'm not sure I think openings are Terry Pratchett's strength. The Hogfather is the Santa Claus-like figure of Terry Pratchett's Discworld universe, though that's Death taking his place on Hogswatch Eve on the cover of my edition. It seems the Assassin's Guild has something to do with that.


Book Beginnings on Fridays is a bookish meme hosted by Gilion at Rose City Reader. To play, quote the beginning of the book you're currently reading, give the author and title, and any thoughts if you like. Happy Hogswatch to all!

5 comments:

  1. I've never finished anything by Pratchett although I have started quite a few. This week I am featuring The House on Tradd Street by Karen White. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Pratchett, but I am curious. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I do love Terry Pratchett. His books have such a delightful sense of humor. My Friday Quotes Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hogfather is a strange name. I have liked one of his books in the past. He is funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of reindeer, this Santa-substitute has hogs pulling his sleigh.

      It took me a while to get into Terry Pratchett, but I have become a fan.

      Delete