Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Ngaio Marsh's Hand in Glove (#1962Club)

"Here, Nicola, encountered the group of persons with whom, on one hand disastrously and on the other to her greatest joy, she was about to become inextricably involved."

Nicola Maitland-Mayne has just taken a job for P. Pyke Period as a typist. The elderly (and fussy) Mr. Period has been invited to write a book of etiquette, but all his notes are handwritten, and he needs somebody to type and organize them. While she's there working, Period invites her to an impromptu luncheon. 

It's Harold Cattrell who's at that luncheon and is murdered. Who did it? On hand are Cattrell's sister, his sister's ward, called Moppet, and Moppet's dodgy boyfriend, Cattrell's ex-wife with her new husband, the ex-wife's son Andrew by her first (of three) marriages, Nicola, and Period himself. Whew. Got that? The book does provide a chart. Period's servants get a passing consideration because they don't like Cattrell, but we all know it can't be the servants, right?

On the night of an outdoor summer party, Cattrell is lured into a dig for sewer repair, and then a sewer pipe is tipped over on him, crushing him into the mud. Threads from a pair of work gloves are found on the sewer pipe, but now the gloves can't be found.

Somebody hurls a bookend at Period in a second attempt at murder.

Pretty much everybody on that list has some motive to have killed Cattrell--he was an irritable man, it seems--but of course Alleyn, with his crew, discovers the murderer.

Though not her best, still a pretty strong entry in the series, I thought. I find her later ones a bit weaker as a rule, but this was amusing, and the obfuscation worked on me--I'd picked the wrong person for the murderer. I'm not sure it felt like 1962, with servants still around and country houses and books of etiquette and heirs not having access to their money until they turn twenty-five, but there was a nod to the new popular music at least, awful as we're told it is. 😉But it was its 1962-ness that got me to read it now.

Also:

Vintage Mystery, Silver, Glove. Who had the gloves? Is it the dodgy boyfriend? They belonged to him. Is it the third husband? He carried the jacket with them in the pocket for a while. Who, who, who!

And as for that 'greatest joy'? Well, I don't think you'll need much help to guess who among that list of suspects Nicola will be marrying soon...Much easier to figure out than the murderer!

12 comments:

  1. I was a bit disappointed by #1 in this series. I see this is #22!
    I need to try at least #2. Which one is your favorite in the series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read them all myself, but I'd say Overture to Death is probably the best, though Surfeit of Lampreys/Death of a Peer was also awfully good. The ones around then in general.

      I haven't read them in order and I don't think anything is lost.

      Delete
    2. Oh, THAT's good to know. Short of the Famous Five series, I'm not sure I've ever met a mystery series that works just as well in- as out-of-order!

      Delete
    3. There's some development over the course of the series--Alleyn meets his future wife and then they get married--but really there's not much.

      Delete
  2. What, attempting murder by hurling a bookend? How dare they!
    This seems pretty fun. It's many years since I've last read Marsh, time to revisit her, methink. Hmm...maybe next year. I might go with this one, I love the premises.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, how dastardly!

      This was a good one if you haven't read it.

      Delete
  3. Marsh is on my list of authors to read next year. I've never read any of her mysteries, but I think they sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's quite a while since I read Marsh, and I can't be sure if I've read this one or not. I did like her books, but I don't think she's quite up there with Christie and co for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's my second favorite of the Queens of Crime, and I do think her best even give Christie a run for her money.

      Delete
  5. I was fond of Marsh till I read her first, A Man Lay Dead, a few years ago. It put me off her but going by this review I think I should start reading her once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read that one--I've never come across it--but what I've heard makes me in no rush to hunt it up. The second, Enter A Murderer, I thought OK, but it did really seem to take her a while to get going.

      Delete