Sunday, October 8, 2023

Sunday Salon

 


Book-ish

Bit of a lazy week on the blog. Posted a Sir John Suckling poem I've always thought amusing.

Reread Cyrano de Bergerac, the play by Edmond Rostand, plus some other things relating to Cyrano. Post on Cyrano soon? Maybe!

A couple of mysteries that will remain mysterious until they get their own post.

#1962Club

Kaggsy and Simon host a reading week devoted to a particular year; this year is 1962, and it starts in a week:


As usual, I've piled up a stack of books, not all of which I'll read...



The volume of Baldwin is for Another Country.

The two mysteries at the back--The Mirror Crack'd From Side to Side and The Zebra-Striped Hearse--are ones I've read before, multiple times, and for the Christie in particular, I remember the solution quite well. Still for each of them, that book is one of my favorites by the author, and they could very well get reread one more time.

Are you planning on taking part? 

And...

Happy Thanksgiving! (to those for whom it's appropriate... 😉) There's turkey sausage pasta on the menu for tomorrow night, which isn't quite roasting a bird, but will have to do...

9 comments:

  1. 1962 was an interesting year for books, especially the National Book Award controversy. I read this: “The short list for the 1962 National Book Award in fiction was remarkable, including a number of works today regarded as classics, like Catch-22 by Joseph Heller, Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates, and Franny and Zooey by J.D. Salinger. Yet the prize went to an obscure first novel by a 45-year-old Southerner, a doctor who contracted TB during his residency and turned to writing instead. No one predicted The Moviegoer by Walker Percy would win.” Have fun with this challenge.

    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have plumped for Franny & Zooey. I didn't especially like either Catch-22 or The Moviegoer, and Revolutionary Road was fine but not Salinger...

      But Morte d'Urban came out in 1962 and won the National Book Award the following year, and it's a lost masterpiece. I'm going to figure out some way to tout it for the week... ;-)

      Delete
  2. That year, 1962, was a year that I gained steam in reading. I started picking up and reading books my mom had left on the coffee table, so I'm pretty sure I've read at least parts of a lot of books that were published then. I'd love to reread my first favorite book, A Wrinkle in Time, for the challenge. I look forward to hearing more about what you choose to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only read Wrinkle In Time as an adult, a few years, but it was a good one! Hope you do get to reread it.

      Delete
    2. I spontaneously decided to reread On the Beach instead.

      Delete
  3. I was just in Canada visiting relatives but left before their Thanksgiving yesterday, Monday. Too short a visit, as it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived hear twenty years & now I have no idea when I think Thanksgiving is! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for reminding me I need to look for that Cyrano movie starring the guy from Game of Thrones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't replace the earlier Cyrano movies for me, but it was still pretty fun.

      Delete