Sunday, October 29, 2023

Sunday Salon

 


Book-ish

Two posts last week: a review of a Dutch mystery from 1975 by Janwillem van de Wetering--pretty good, but not amazing--and a poem by Charlotte Mew. (Approved by Thomas Hardy!)

There were some books for the #1962Club.




Upcoming: November is a blogger's busy season. I hope to participate in Nonfiction November, Novellas in November, and Margaret Atwood Reading Month. But what will I read? I dunno... I've got several non-fiction books from the library in a pile by my reading chair, and one of them is short. I should read them!

In any case, I've made a list of my year's reading in non-fiction and novellas and should post that soon.

The Classics Club spin result means I will also be reading Boccaccio's Decameron in the near future.

Quote

"When one's time is as brief as mine is, it is far better to gawk than write."
-Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, on his first visit to London

As good an excuse as I've ever heard for not writing a letter. 😉

Where I Am

'Tis the colorful season!


The city planted this Freeman Maple in our front yard maybe ten years ago. It always puts on a spectacular show. But I'm afraid most of those leaves fell in a rainstorm on Thursday morning, and were then raked up on Saturday...

I saw this on the way to the grocery store the other day:


An inflatable skeleton unicorn! With a happy pumpkin, and a rainbow mane. Not very scary, but you just know there's some happy six-year-old girl in that house. But it occurred to me the unicorn could be multi-use: Gay Pride Day, Día de los Muertos, and if the Grateful Dead ever came to town again, it would be simply perfect. But, in any case, it's just the thing to wish you a Happy Halloween!

6 comments:

  1. I love the inflatable unicorn! Good luck with all your November reading goals. I'm doing Nonfiction November too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ve seen a couple of those unicorns in our neighborhood among many other decorations this week. I didn’t think about the probable little girl.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be a thing now--this is the first time I've seen one. It's pretty fun.

      Delete
  3. I love the inflatable unicorn, and, like you, I can see many uses for it.

    I made a list of books I might read in November, but I am not sure which ones I might actually pick up. I will enjoy seeing your lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your lists--bunch of fun things on them!

      Delete