Thursday, October 5, 2023

The Constant Lover

Suckling

The Constant Lover

Out upon it, I have lov'd
  Three whole days together!
And am like to love three more,
  If it prove fair weather.

Time shall moult away his wings
  Ere he shall discover
In the whole wide world again
  Such a constant lover.

But the spite on 't is, no praise
  Is due at all to me;
Love with me had made no stays
  Had it any been but she.

Had it any been but she,
  And that very face,
There had been at least ere this
  A dozen dozen in her place.

-Sir John Suckling

Sir John Suckling was a Cavalier poet who's also supposed to have invented the game of cribbage, which I played constantly with my dad when I was about eight. 

Sir John was born in 1609 and died young in 1641. 

Poking through old commonplace books & still thinking about ballads was how I hit upon this. My earlier scratchings:





4 comments:

  1. Humorous and clever! Love it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty funny, isn't it? Let's hope he wasn't quite so awful!

      Delete
  2. Like that you found his poem, in his own writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, alas, hopefully his handwriting was better than that!

      Delete