Thursday, August 17, 2023

Edna St. Vincent Millay


Love is not all, it is not meat or drink
Nor slumber nor a roof against the rain;
Nor yet a floating spar to men that sink
And rise and sink and rise and sink again;
Love can not fill the thickened lung with breath,
Nor clean the blood, nor set the fractured bone;
Yet many a man is making friends with death
Even as I speak, for want of love alone.
It well may be that in a difficult hour,
Pinned down by pain and moaning for release 
Or nagged by want past resolution's power,
I might be driven to sell your love for peace,
Or trade the memory of this night for food.
It may well be. I do not think I would.

-Edna St. Vincent Millay

This is sonnet #30 from Millay's sonnet sequence of 1931, titled Fatal Interview.

Part of it was quoted at the beginning of Maggie Millner's Couplets, which shows good taste... 😉

I'm off in the Internet-free zone as this appears, where I might be, I don't know, observing frogs:



4 comments:

  1. I really love the poetry of Edna St. Vincent Millay. Enjoy your vacation. (If you are on vacation.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, too!

      It was vacation (though I'm retired, so what does that mean exactly?) but I'm back now.

      Delete
  2. I hadn't read that poem on a long time, and was unexpectedly moved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a good one, with that spectacular ending. It was nice to be reminded of it by the Millner because I hadn't read it a while either. (Though it is one I had by memory once upon a time.)

      Delete