Thursday, August 20, 2026

Basho

 

Whenever winds blow
the butterfly finds a new place
on the willow tree
 
A Dutchman arrives
to view cherry blossoms
from his saddle
 
A lovely spring night
suddenly vanished while we
viewed cherry blossoms
 
Nothing in the cry
of cicadas suggests they
are about to die
 
With no umbrella
in cold, early winter rain--
ah, well! So be it! 
Being useless,
my daydreams are disturbed
by noisy warblers
 
-Matsuo Bashō (tr. Sam Hamill)
 
Bashō (1644-1694) was a Japanese poet and travel writer, famous in his own day. (Write me a poem, Matsuo Bashō, and he frequently did.) I recently finished this collection--very good! A mix of poems and travel writing. I was a bit surprised how his travels felt quite like a modern tourist, off to see temple complexes or areas of great natural beauty. Of course the one time I got to see something in Japan, I went and saw a temple complex.
 
These are just a random few of the haiku in the volume, ones that appealed to me. You'll notice that in Hamill's translation they're not particularly rigorous about the 5-7-5 syllable system, but the introduction suggests that Bashō himself wasn't particularly rigorous either. They do show the typical haiku structure: an observation of a natural setting with a turn in the third line.  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment