Perpetua Dormienda
Another day, another power outageRolled across the sky and through the dawn,Bringing as well obscurity and outrage,Thousands of darkened houses and big trees down.Another and another and anotherCircuit failure, when the borrowed powerOf the storm, lightning's domestic brother,Flickered and fell to bits hour after hour!This morning has been as if it not had been,The world scrubbed clean, the sky a spotless blue,And all the pointless vacancy between,Not so much lived as thoughtlessly slept through.
-Daryl Hine
Daryl Hine (1936-2012) was a Canadian poet born in British Columbia. He got a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, was the editor of Poetry magazine for a decade, and taught at various Chicago area universities. He lived in the Chicago area with his partner, Samuel Todes, a professor of philsosophy at Northwestern University.
A Reliquary and Other Poems was Hine's last book and came out in 2013 after his death. 'Perpetua dormienda' - 'to be slept forever', roughly - is an allusion to Catullus 5, the one that begins, "Let us live, Lesbia, and let us love" and ends in an uncountable number of kisses. Lines 5 and 6, though, remind us, "quum semel occidit brevis lux/nox est perpetua una dormienda." Peter Green translates as: "once our brief life's quenched, there's only/one unending night that's left to sleep through." But Hine is not (quite?) feeling so dark as all that: the storm has left "the world scrubbed clean, the sky a spotless blue," and while the morning may have been lost 'thoughtlessly' that doesn't sound necessarily so bad.
I've been meaning to post a Daryl Hine poem for a while, and I pulled a book off the shelf this evening, and this was the page it opened at. (Sortes Vergilianae!) We had a serious storm recently, with golf ball sized hail and 'big trees down,' so it seemed to fit. Our power was out for about ten hours, but was back by the following morning, so I couldn't (alas!) sleep it entirely away.

I've never heard of this poet, but I really like that poem!
ReplyDeleteI don't know why he's not better known...
DeleteThis seems like a great match for you! (And what a simple, bur rich, cover.)
ReplyDelete-Marcie
It's a Fitzhenry & Whiteside. This works, but their covers aren't always so understated.
DeleteI do like Daryl Hine's stuff. His book length poem & is pretty great, I think.
Darryl Hine was the childhood friend of my anti-guru Jiva Das, still Errol Pritchard in their day, and he has been a strong presence in my life even though I never met him. I have always wished I could have gotten to know his work better. The one book if his I read was the autobiographical poem Academic Festival Overtures, which gave me the sense of a very sympathetic personality. I found it in a remainder bin in what was then the Byway department store beside the review theatre on Bloor at Bathurst, and Jiva-Errol took a rather unbecoming pleasure in writing him after decades to let him know that he had found his book remaindered. (There is a poem by someone titled "On finding my enemy's book remaindered", and another by soneone else, "On finding myself remaindered".)
ReplyDeletePhillip Ernest
Probably Clive James' 'The Book of My Enemy Has Been Remaindered'--which is pretty hilarious. Byway--now the Dollarama. No books to be found there anymore...
DeleteUnbecoming, cruel, or hopefully just teasing.
Incidentally, I saw a clip of that storm brooding imminently over the city, and I have never seen such terrifying looking weather even in India.
ReplyDeletePhillip Ernest
My favorite reading chair is under the skylight. I keep wondering if I should move to a more interior part of the house as they say for tornadoes.
Delete