I was reading that AI companies have burned through their vast piles of cash and have started to borrow to keep constructing data centers. Fully a third of the all-time visits to my blog came last month. (I'm sure I'm not the only one seeing such statistics.) Silicon Valley is going into debt just to read my blog? This is a bubble whose finances are going to make 2000 and 2007 look like a church pancake breakfast.
Literary Fiction
Roberto Bolaño/The Savage Detectives
Third time I've read it. Still has that air of sweet melancholic remembrance.
Colson Whitehead/The Intuitionist
He came to Toronto promoting his most recent novel, the conclusion of his Harlem trilogy, Cool Machine. At some point the library will deliver it to me. In the meantime I read this, his first novel. Black passing as White and Black acceptance into a White job world in a somewhat surreal take on elevator inspection.
Virginia Woolf/Between the Acts
More here.
Genre Literature
Margery Allingham/The Crime at Black Dudley
The first Albert Campion story, just with less Campion. Pretty good, but not the best. More in the mode of thriller Campion than mystery-solving Campion. (Which generally I don't mind.)
Robert Barnard/A Little Local Murder
Documentary radio program comes to town and everybody wants to be on it. One person won't...
Lloyd Alexander/The Castle of Llyr
High fantasy with a Welsh-ish setting for a younger audience. I've since finished the series (of five, then there's a volume of stories). More to come.
Helen MacInnes/Prelude to Terror
More here.
Poetry
Shakespeare/Othello
I saw a superb production of Othello in Stratford, Ontario, and reread the play in advance. No more of that...
Matsuo Bashō/Narrow Road to the Interior
The early Japanese travel writer and author of haiku.
Literary Criticism
Morten Høi Jensen/The Master of Contradictions: Thomas Mann and the Making of the Magic Mountain
A biography of Mann during the years he was writing The Magic Mountain (1913-1924) together with criticism of that novel. Very good if you're interested.
Also...
I read about 800 pages of Montaigne's complete essays in M. A. Screech's translation (roughly 2/3rds). I should finish it this coming month.
For the Commonplace Book

No comments:
Post a Comment