Thursday, April 20, 2023

Charlotte Mew (#Poem)

 


I So Liked Spring

I so liked Spring last year--
  Because you were here;--
    The thrushes too--
Because it was these you so liked to hear--
  I so liked you.
  
This year's a different thing,--
  I'll not think of you.
But I'll like the Spring because it is simply Spring
  As the thrushes do.

-Charlotte Mew

Thinking seasonally...

Charlotte Mew (1869-1928) led quite a difficult life, one that ended in poverty and suicide. But she produced a number of lovely poems along the way, and won the praise of a number of major figures. (There's a blurb from Thomas Hardy on the back of my Virago edition.)

She's the subject of one of Penelope Fitzgerald's three biographies. It's pretty good.

There may not be very many photos of Mew--Wikipedia has the same one as the one on the cover--but it's not very flattering...

I'm off gallivanting about, but prepared this in advance.

6 comments: