Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Israel Zangwill's The Big Bow Mystery

'[an] editor...asked me to provide him with a more original piece of fiction. I might have refused, but there was murder in my soul, and here was an opportunity."

Israel Zangwill's The Big Bow Mystery of 1892 is one of the earliest locked-room mysteries. In his introduction, quoted above, he claims it's the earliest, but then his detective discusses the solution to 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue', a clear predecessor. Let's just say it's early... 😉

Arthur Constant, an up and coming lefty politician, moves to the East End of London to get to know his potential constituents, is found murdered in his bedroom, locked from the inside, windows unbroken and locked from the inside, chimney too narrow for anyone to go down--you know the drill. How was it done?

And who'd want to do it anyway? (Because of course it wasn't suicide.) Arthur Constant was such a nice man, helpful to his neighbours, loved by his friends, etc. The only possible motive is that of a fellow labour leader Mortlake who may have thought Constant was after his girl, and the police soon fix on him as the murderer. 

There are two detectives on the case: Grodman, a former police detective, now retired, and writing his memoirs. He lives in the neighbourhood and is called to break the door when Constant's landlady gets worried. And Wimp, the detective who replaced him on the force, whom Grodman disdains as incompetent. (And Grodman may be right.)

I find it a bit astonishing how influential this is. Various possible solutions to unlocking the room are discussed, only to be dismissed; I swear I've seen all of those answers used in subsequent locked-room mysteries. And the type of the actual surprise murderer shows up in a few subsequent mysteries, too, but it would be spoilerish to say which. The book is on the Howard Haycraft/Ellery Queen list of the Cornerstones of Mystery, and deservedly so.

It's a pretty good read, too, though I did find it a little slow in the middle. It's also often funny. One of the suspects is a poet, Denzil Cantercot, forever talking about the Beautiful: "Life was very serious to him. He never wrote comic verse intentionally."


I got it from Project Gutenberg, but for a cover I used what seems to be the eBook Amazon sells. 

Vintage Mystery, Gold. A Town Scene: Stalking a murderer on the streets of East London.

That's eight! Completing the challenge, though it's likely I won't stop there.

10 comments:

  1. In addition to everything else appealing about this novel, it's very atypical of the works for which Zangwill is still well-known, like "Children of the Ghetto." Thanks for pointing me to it.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspotl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really know anything else about Zangwill until I recently read the Wikipedia article, though I'd long heard of this novel. What a fascinating person.

      Delete
  2. Another crime writer I haven't heard of before. And thanks for the Haycraft-Queen Cornerstones mystery list; it's very helpful, though I'm rather disappointed that there're only 2 from Agatha Christie! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember where I first came across that list, but it's pretty fascinating, even if it doesn't quite have enough of Agatha Christie... ;-)

      Delete
  3. I'm always game to read a classic locked-room mystery...and hey, my library actually has a copy of this one. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, nice! I prefer paper to eBook, but I just read this one from Project Gutenberg.

      Delete
  4. I haven't used Project Gutenberg in a while. A reminder to me to look there for older mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fairly new source for me, too. There are a lot of good ones, hard to find otherwise. The Old Man in the Corner, Jacques Futrelle.

      Delete
  5. Fun were the explanations for the impossible crime: from the plausible (secret passages and trapdoors) to the hilarious (a razor-wielding monkey coming down the chimney). Zangwill is a master of the quip and wisecrack, in the traditions of Groucho Marx and Mel Brooks. Not many Victorian mysteries had such high spirits and humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The razor-wielding monkey was a nice touch. If it could have been a giant ape, why not a smaller monkey?

      Delete