Sunday, February 10, 2019

Sunday Salon


Interesting Link

I read this article about ideophones and what they might tell us about the origin of language. I got 70% on the opening quiz, though it's not that sort of quiz: the fact that most people get more than 50% correct is proof (?) de Saussure's assertion words are completely arbitrary signs may not be entirely correct.

Top Of The Reading Pile


Yes, Orlando Furioso was there last week, too. It's hard to tell but the bookmark has advanced. Really.

Doing the #OneCoverADay challenge led me to go look at my Don Marquis collection with illustrations by George Herriman of Krazy Kat fame. It also made me think ("wotthehell wotthehell") I should reread archy and mehitabel. (All lower case completely appropriate.) Maybe look for a Thursday poetry post.

Also my copy of Circe arrived from the library on Wednesday. I now have two and a half weeks to read it. (Since I won't be able to renew.)

Where I Am

Last week's snow is now looking grey and yicky, so how about this picture of a vintage (1951) streetcar that passed near my house in early January:


Sunny and no snow to speak of, then. It doesn't look like that today...

How are you all doing?

6 comments:

  1. Tempting me with Orlando again, are you? ;-)

    It started snowing this afternoon and it's still going. It will probably only last a day which is typical, but while it's still here, it's soooo pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got a dusting last night and it does look good now!

      Orlando, Orlando, Orlando!

      Delete
  2. I love seeing that streetcar around the city: lovely!

    And I've been thinking about rereading archy and mehitabel too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I've seen the streetcar at a Doors Open event before, I'm not sure I'd ever seen it on the street and that day, at least, was such a pretty winter day.

      Delete
  3. I hope you like Circe! The waitlist at my library for that book is really long. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It took a while to get here but the first page looks good. As soon as I finish my current book, I'm starting in earnest.

      Delete