Thursday, January 9, 2020

Poem For A Thursday: Wilbur

Sunset from our house on New Year's Day

Treetops


Treetops are not so high
Nor I so low
That I don't instinctively know
How it would be to fly
Through gaps that the wind makes, when
The leaves arouse
And there is a lifting of boughs
That settle and lift again. 
Whatever my kind may be,
It is not absurd
To confuse myself with a bird
For the space of a reverie: 
My species never flew,
But I somehow know
It is something that long ago
I almost adapted to.

-Richard Wilbur

Richard Wilbur was an American poet who died in 2017. This comes from fairly late in his career.

The Other Reader refers to him as that poet who loved his wife, and it's true there are several wonderful poems he wrote for his wife. But he was also one of the lyricists for Leonard Bernstein's musical Candide and is capable of quite funny poems.

New year, new commitment to #PoemForAThursday? We'll see.

Jennifer (reliably, unlike me...) has a poem each week at Holds Upon Happiness. This week she's featuring Philip Booth. Brona also a poem this week by Dorothy Hewitt.


6 comments:

  1. very nice... brought to mind those early, very real, flying dreams i used to have before i became (ugh) a teenager...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever actually had a flying dream--such a classic and somehow I missed out.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. There's a bunch of his poems I like...he's so good.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you are sharing poems again. Just join in when you can. I always love seeing your choices.

    ReplyDelete